Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Scrapbooking Dilemma

I have an obvious problem that maybe some of you a little more experienced can help me out with. I am a hoarder of scrapbooking supplies. It has been a long, long time since I have actually done any scrapbooking. I have finally stopped buying anything, because I have to use what I have. I have a true investment in my basement that is just waiting to gain something. I love to scrapbook but I am so far behind that sometimes I don't even know where to start. A couple of girls are getting together tonight to scrapbook. I am excited because maybe I can get a few pages done. My problem more than anything is this: I want to know if digital scrapbooking is better, faster, and easier? So anyone out there with an opinion, please, please let me know. Otherwise, I will continue to believe that someday I will use the stuff in my basement, and get further and further behind. If someone has some magical tip of how to keep up on it, please do tell. My problem with the whole digital scrapbooking is that I am not sure where to go to get stuff. I don't know if it is free or costs. And I don't want to end up having to go to hundreds of different sites. I need something fairly all inclusive. And I guess I need to know if I need photoshop. Professional scrapbookers. . .it is time to fess up.

5 comments:

chris said...

CM has a digital program that they use now I think. Not sure what it is like. I myself am at least 5 years behind now....another big sigh....we used to get together 2 times a month in the church gym, bring all of our stuff, let the kids run around, and scrapbook for a couple of hours. Start with your current photos and keep current, then work back.

Karly said...

Go to costco.com and upload your pics into the books. easy and at times cheap!!!!

Julie said...

Digital is the way to go in my opinion. Its WAY cheaper and doesn't require a million supplies to get out and put away every time you want to scrapbook. If you get Photoshop Elements you'd be set, and there are TONS of free digitial scrapbooking sites. Brooke is the girl to talk to about it. She's given me several lessons. It just takes practice! That's my 2 cents.

ashley said...

S... a friend of mine posted about this on her blog in response to many a question she got, so I thought it might help... although it is long. :) I really want to get into it too~

"I did not realize so many of you were interested in the topic of digital scrapbooking! It seems like with each comment there are numerous questions. I tried to hop on to your pages to answer your questions, but decided this might be easier. Just so you know I am a novice!!! I know there are probably better resources than me (which I will share at the conclusion of this post), but I will share what I have been doing. As the novice, I am always looking for other resources and people that know more than me, so if you have other resources and suggestions please share them in this forum.

Adobe Photoshop has several different programs that allow for digital design. Their premier program is used by professionals in photography, graphic design, and a myriad of other graphic fields. It runs anywhere from 600-900 dollars depending on which one you get. Serious scrapbookers and scrapbook supply designers use this program. For me, it was too expensive. Adobe has a program that is specifically for scrapbookers, but I found it to be inadequate for what I wanted to do. I ended up choosing their Photoshop Elements program (for 80$) because it came highly recommended in the Digital Scrapbooking world. You can try it for free for 30 days if you are interested in trying it out. When I first started out I used Microsoft's Picture It! which was okay, but not really user friendly and had real limitations. Adobe was just better!

I have chosen not to invest in my own printer at this time. It just wasn't in my budget. I have heard of people doing their own printing, but I have found there are tons of sites that offer great rates on printing. At this time, I am using Costco. It costs about 3$ for a 12X12 page. The quality is only as good as the materials you use. I find it pretty convenient, because I can upload my pages on their website and pick up my pages an hour later. I have seen some sites advertise 1.50$ per page, but since I have not tried those out I cannot vouch for their quality. I like being able to pick up my pages in the same day rather than wait for them to arrive in the mail. When you think about the cost of printing pictures, purchasing paper products, glue, cutting utensils, stickers, stamps, stamp pads, embellishments etc. and compare it to the cost of digital, I have a feeling that over time, digital is way more cost effective. I won't spout any false studies and statistics. It is just my opinion, take it for what it is worth (not much;))

As far as materials go, I have scoured the web to pick up numerous freebies. By doing this, I have realized there is a big difference in quality with the products. Some yahoos use Photoshop Elements and create coordinated kits that look straight from the 80's. They are horrible. I have also found other designers that are true artists. Their freebies are harder to come by, but so much better that it would even be worth the purchase. Also, most digital scrapbook supply stores have blogs that share freebies and ideas for layouts. At this point I have not bought a single supply, although I have been seriously tempted. I have found over 15 gig of graphic products all for free. I hope to be able to add my own closet of supplies to my digital database when I get a scanner. It is nice, though, because every digital supply is inexhaustible. It is also so easy to change the color, shading, and pattern of just about any supply that the options are endless. I can change a simple bow to any color of the rainbow with just a click of a button. I have found the endless options exciting and creatively stimulating.

Now, on to my sources and favorite sites. I think www.scrapgirls.com is a wonderful resource for the novice digiscrapper. They have a free university filled with explanations on how to digiscrap. They also have a store that is pretty good. If you sign up for their newsletter they send you one digital freebie a day. Of course, www.shabbyprincess.com is a great resource for supplies. She is one of the top designers out there (again, my humble opinion). I thought her FAQ section was informative and she offers about 4 large digital scrapbook kits a year for free. They are high quality and you can still download all of them in her Downloads section. Another fun site is www.peppermintcreative.com. She offers some beautiful kits and cute layout ideas. Her Phrase Guide is helpful if you are just starting out. Also, at the first of the month she offers a large kit for free. Unfortunately, you cannot download past offers. They do expire, but it still feels like Christmas when you get something that beautiful as a gift once a month. I also really enjoy www.shabbymissjenndesigns.com. She occasionally offers freebies and has a cool eclectic style. Her kits are beautiful and a constant temptation for me. The final site I thought I would share is at www.squidoo.com/digitalscrapbookfreebies. This one has lots of information on how to get started and also lists some of the top digital scrapbook stores, blogs, and sites.

Okay. So. That is all I can share right now. My brain is fried!

Brooke said...

Hi! It's Brooke Kemp. :) Found your bloggie through Julie's. I love digital scrapbooking, it's so much easier, cheaper in the long run, and takes up no physical space in your house. :) I'd be happy to answer any questions, my email is brookiewookie@gmail.com. Have a good one!