Monday, January 14, 2008

Lofty Ambitions

Driving home from the in-laws last night, Kid 1 started asking B about previous job experiences. B was explaining to him all of the different jobs that he has held over the years, and Kid 1 then said, "Dad, you know what I want to be when I grow up?, I want to be a Zookeeper." Kid 2 of course chimed in and said, "I want to be a PRINCESS when I grow up." Awesome I thought. I can handle that, she is my type of girl. I wasn't and still am not quite so sure about Kid 1's dream. This isn't the first time I have heard it either.

THEN, to make matters worse, B says to me, "I would be proud if he was a zookeeper." I gave him a sideways glance and said, "Are you kidding?" We then began discussing what being a zookeeper entails and decided that neither one of us really knows. I think it has more to do with managing the animals, making sure they are fed, keeping their homes CLEAN, and keeping up on any maintenance their homes might need. B thinks it is taking care of their medical needs. I feel that is the Zoo vets responsibility. Whatever the case, it isn't what I envision my own kid doing. And the most interesting thing about the whole thing is that kid 1 is extremely scared of any animal outside a cage that approaches him. I wonder just what he thinks a zookeeper is himself.
We went to the ZOO on Saturday. In the COLD. There was a baby giraffe who was a little over a month old that was already so big. I guess when they are born they are over 6 feet tall. I can't imagine delivering something that size. I realize it is all proportionate, but I have someone to help me. The most interesting thing I thought was seeing camels, zebras, and elephants in the snow.

2 comments:

chris said...

but he would be such a cute zookeeper, he could be the elephant wrangler like Steve Erwin was the crock one...i can just see it now...The T-Man taking on Dumbo

Amanda said...

hmm...actually I should recommend that occupation to my little brother Cody. He would be good at that - but probably at more of a petting zoo or something with farm animals. He wants to be a vet, but I don't see him ever getting the motivation to go to school.