



Today is the day I took my parents to the MTC. Sounds a little bit backwards, but I can remember my parents telling me this is what they wanted to do over 15 years ago. I am glad to see their dream being fulfilled. I spent the last four days with them. We just hung out, played lots of Zilch and Sudoku, and went shopping. I must say I am filled with an array of mixed emotions. I am so happy for them to finally be doing what they have longed to do for years. But as I was dropping them off at the MTC, I was shocked to see all of these old people up there starting their "Senior" Missions. My parents aren't "Senior" Missionaries. I didn't think they looked as OLD as the other couples. But then I did a double take. Somewhere between me graduating from high school and moving out to getting married and having three kids, they aged. It hit me like a load of bricks. They are that old. They are a "Senior" Missionary couple. And they will be gone for 18 months. They won't see Kid 1 start kindergarten. They won't see Kid 2 start preschool. They won't see Kid 3 take her first step, start walking, start talking and even start running. She will have gone from age 9 mo to age 2. The list could go on and in. The thing about someone being gone for that long is that life does goes on. I think overall the hardest thing for me is that my kids won't get to see their grandparents for that time. Don't get me wrong. I am going to miss seeing my parents, being able to just call them up to chat, to get advice and comfort. I guess if I just don't think about it, and take it is if they are still in Idaho, the time may pass just a little more quickly-and easier.
6 comments:
I think having lived away for so long, and only seeing everyone once or twice a year, it makes it easier to see the changes in people. So, yes, they have aged, but I have to agree they don't look as old as some of the seniors out there. We sure are going to miss them too!!!
OH HONEY!!! I feel for you! I KNOW exactly what you're going through! My mom wasn't there when i was pregnant with my first child, when he was born, blessed, 4 surgeries, his whole baby! He was 21 months old when they got home! You're right though! It's exactly what they want to do and LOVE!!!!!!!!!
...I hate my widows peak. Seeing pictures like this reminds me that I shouldn't wear my bangs up like that, but they drive me NUTS! Well, I'm going to get them cut on Monday.
You'll make it! My parents went for 23 months and will be back next month! We are sooo excited! Time will fly, don't worry! When are we getting together???
Amanda,
You look so cute in that picture. You should wear your hair like that!!! Did you cut your hair?
Yep I cut it. I have bangs now that go all the way across. That's the only difference - other than that I just got a trim. I like the bangs, but they'll take some getting used to.
Post a Comment