I guess I am not alone in this world of messed up addresses and phone numbers. I have loved all the responses. Reading some of your comments has reminded me of another story, I have to tell it.
We moved into our home about a year ago and once we got our phone lines up and running I started to receive about 10 calls a day for a (let's call her) Penelope Pederman (not that far of a stretch from her real name). It was really, really annoying, especially when it interrupted my nap (being 8 months pregnant).
I would explain to someone who did not speak English very well that I just moved into the house, it was a new number for me, and that Penelope did not live here. . .over and over again.
Finally, I had had it. They weren't getting the message. I decided I was going to be Penelope for the day. So when they asked for Penelope Pederman, I said, "This is her." Immediately I was told to hang on and the caller switched to a manager.
"Penelope, Penelope Pederman?".
I couldn't lie anymore. I had to tell the man who actually spoke English that I was not Penelope. He got very, very angry with me and started yelling at me.
"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?" I responsed in the nicest of ways. I told him I needed someone to listen to me and now that I had his attention, my number needed to be taken off of his list because Penelope was long gone. It worked. A few days later I got a call from QWEST, my phone company, verifying this was a new number for me (like they couldn't veryify that for themselves?). But, I no longer got calls for Penelope Pederman. It made me feel bad though, after I pretended to be her I learned it was a collection agency. But let's be honest. If someone is going to go to collection's, do you think they will keep their same phone number? Or even be able to pay for a phone number? I think she was in a lot of trouble because it wasn't the only collection agency calling for her.
3 comments:
I would have done the same thing. We get collection calls for an Elizabeth Johnson about every six months! I'm not sure why they keep calling cause we repeatedly tell them they have a wrong #! I would love to meet Penelope Pederman!!
oh my gosh! totally happened to us for about a year! Collection agency after collection agency calling for... Michael (can't remember his last name). I HATED IT!
why do you have a public service ad by google on your blog?
Post a Comment