Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Love at Home

The inevitable happened this weekend. My husband and I had the "opportunity to speak" in our ward. Everyone knows that when you move into a new ward, it is bound to happen. But the fact that our ward was new has meant that everyone has been given this chance. They asked us to speak way back in August, the week I had my tonsillectomy, so we got out of it. We kept on asking them when our chance would come up again, but they kept on holding us off, so we had determined this was the key. I think we forgot to ask last month. I knew we were in trouble when the bishopric member got up and stated that when they were trying to determine what topics to have what couples speak on they felt impressed to have us speak on this subject. Ouch. They always say that those who speak learn the most out of their talks and need it the most. As I recently learned of the "Mormon accent" on my friends blog, I tried really hard not to have it. I think she is talking of the change of voice many use when they get up and speak. Kind of funny if you think about it. We all know of at least one person who does it, for occasions such as talks, prayers, and lessons. Anyway, I felt like it went alright. I of course, took the scientific approach to explain the necessity of love, and then ways we can have "Love at Home". My husband had the "Recipe to Love at Home". He actually had a really cute story of how he made pancakes one Saturday morning that just didn't turn out so well and then related how we need to follow some concepts to have the right recipe to have "Love at Home". But the bottom line is this, scientist, psychologist, and politicians, along with church leaders, know that the foundation of society is the family unit, and in order for the community and nation to succeed depends on what happens in the walls of our own homes. And all that is good, is based on love. There is always room to spread a little more love around.

9 comments:

chris said...

Some how we have been lucky enough to avoid being asked to speak since moving here in Aug. I don't know why as I am such a good public speaker and everyone in the past has always "enjoyed" my talks so much. hahahaha NO really, my last talk was given when an area authority was there and he was really impressed with me, so I heard from the bishopric. Amazing I didn't get a bigger calling right then and there.

Karly said...

GLAD IT WENT WELL... SORRY WE MISSED IT!

Nancy said...

I should comment on your talk, but I'm still like, "huh? you had a tonsillectomy?" I've never heard of an adult having one and I thought it was because it was far to miserable for adults. What's the scoop. See, these blogs are totally keeping us involved in each other's lives.

Anonymous said...

Actually, about every talk we have heard,those that we can understand, have been about the family. The Worldwide Training Meeting was on the pattern of the family. And since Sister Lee is a marriage counselor, and she has spoken 3 times since we have been here, we have heard alot about marriage and relationships. Maybe after 42years we still need to work on them - and I think we do. Always need to keep that most important relationship happy and alive! In fact I was going to write a little about that for the newsletter but didn't, so you are a good reminder. I was going to tell you that about 25? years ago they was a single siter in our ward, who was a social worker. she lived in the ward for about a year, maybe were Julie lived with the Hemsleys. She stayed for about a year then move to rexburg to tell there. Her name was Wendy Watkins/Watson. Sis. Lee told me the other day that she is Elder Nelson's new wife. Thought that was interesting.

BS and the Kids said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BS and the Kids said...

So Nancy,
With my last pregnancy, I had strep 9 times, and then I got it 3 times after. We decided I needed my tonsils out but I was nursing. . . but I had to go for it anyway. I was able to keep my milk, who knows how, it was horrible and miserable, but I am better now!!! In fact, my very first blog was under the influence of some very fine drugs status post tonillectomy.

BS and the Kids said...

Mom, I used that cute story that Sister Beck told from the training, it was such a good training. . .

Stephanie Hatzenbuehler said...

Amen.

Chris said...

We've lived up here for over 3 years and have gone through 4 ward splits and somehow we have avoided speaking! Maybe it's because the bishop knows that Staci would say no!