Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Plan Smashing Commute

My husband made plans for us to celebrate Valentine's Day tonight. A day early, but we figured we would beat the rush. Those plans quickly became squandered when he called me at 5:15 to tell me he was stuck in traffic and to call him in a few to see if he had moved any. We got hit pretty hard with a storm, AGAIN, and he wasn't sure if there was a wreck ahead of him or not. I watched the news and didn't hear much, but he finally found out on the radio a semi had jack-knifed. At 5:30, he had moved 500 yards since the last phone call. At 5:45 he was pretty convinced we weren't going to make our dinner reservations at 6:45 downtown. He hadn't told me where we were going, and when he finally did I was somewhat peeved with the snow and the whole nine yards. We were going to experience Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. I think I will have to take a rain check because I have heard the food is nothing but DELICIOUS. I had him call me about every half hour to check in. Finally at 8:30, he got home, after a FOUR hour commute that normally takes 30-45 minutes. Pretty impressive and deflating. Chalk it up to the fact that the plans surrounded that oh-so-ever elusive romantic holiday called Valentine's Day.

8 comments:

Karly said...

OOOOOOOOOOOO! You HAVE to take a rain check. That place is SOOOOO GOOD! I CANNOT believe it took four hours! I hope he had a Sudoku book. How aggravating!

Julie said...

Tucker's normal 20 minute commute took 2 hours. I'm so sorry that you missed out on Ruth's Chris. I'd be ticked. I hope you get to go soon!

chris said...

I"ve always wanted to eat there. Maybe sometime after we leave here we'll get the chance. At least he thought of something. Wade brought me home my birthday present, which was much more a present for him (Victoria's Secret). I mean, come on, after 15 1/2 years of marriage you would think he would've clued in on the fact that I really don't think lingerie is a gift for me.

Chris said...

Well I'm glad to see that Brett had the same type of great commute, I'm sure that we were slowly inching by each other on opposite sides of the freeway! But at least I didn't miss Ruth's Chris! That is by far my favorite restaurant! It's unbelievable! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Nancy said...

I love commutes. Mike has to commute over the bridge into Portland every day and sometimes they decide that rush hour would be the best time to do a bridge lift for one lone boat while 8 million people get backed up for HOURS!

Karly said...

YOU ARE TAGGED!! HE HE!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Brett,

Again can't figure out how to make a heading as everything is in Russian. Hope you had a nice trip to St. George and relished a few days without shoveling that snow. Did you golf and swim the kids. We love you all. Hope you have a great birthday. Luv J&J

Brooke said...

That is so crazy. We lucked out and don't have any whopper commute stories. You'll definitely have to redo the dinner date. I've heard that place is amazing!!