Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ticket To Ride



One of my husband and I's new favorite game is Ticket to Ride. The point of the game is to obviously WIN (OK, I realize for some of you out there who don't have the competitive nature that I have might choose to disagree, but it is my point in the game). Destination cards are drawn and you try to build transcontinental railroads to complete your destination while scoring the most points for size of railroads completed and destination routes completed. I have never played a game that has compelled me to have such internal bouts of anger fueled by the utterly shocking disgrace of losing. I have learned throughout the years to channel my competitiveness away. I believe, although others may not, that I have "toned it down" over time. But this game has brought it all back. It is the strangest thing, the relationship I have with this game. I love it, yet, it really drives me crazy. The problem lies within the fact that someone, out of nowhere, can sweep down and end the game while your plan that you have spent the whole game scheming about quickly dissolves right before your eyes. But the beauty of it is also lies therein. You can be the one who gracefully demoralizes all other players by your sheer ingenuity of playing the game. Some may say it is all just the "luck of the draw". I would say otherwise. Afterall, what fun is it if you don't WIN? I tend to think those who say winning isn't everything, never themselves have won, especially at such a bitterly intriguing game as this.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

That is funny. I love games and that sounds like a great game. Unfortunately, Zac is of the opinion that board games are called that for a reason...they are boring. I think it's just because he's a bad loser. :)

Debbie said...

Oh you married into the right family. I think we in the N family are quite competitive. I always play to win. This game sounds fun. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for sharing!

Nancy said...

Ooohh, totally reminds me of RISK. For awhile Ithink it was banned form our home because people got so irrationally emotionally involved in winning!!! SOmetimes it's just nice to win.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought that it is also fun to try to win? Definitely not as fun as winning, but can still be fun. We all can't win everytime.

BS and the Kids said...

So nice to see that you finally had I thought, Brett Nelson. It isn't quite the same, winning has such a better feeling with it. And I did marry into a very competitive family, coming from 4 boys and lots of boy cousins!!! This game is better than RISK, Nancy. It is so much quicker. We love Risk as well, but it takes way too long. Even if we are playing the quick version. The kids love to play Risk with their dad. They pass out the cards and set up one guy on each country and roll with the same rules as risk. Except, they call it the "Killer Game". Such a great name for my wee ones.

Julie said...

I love this game. It does get pretty heated...the same with the Settlers of Catan game.

Chris said...

We love this game too! Well I love it more because somehow I always seem to win! We need to get together and play a little round, I promise to play nice Sarah! Brett good to see your comment on your blog, now we're just waiting for you to post, it's not that bad, you can do it!