Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Other Fish

Hot topic #2. A nurse stated that the countries economic issues are all related to the war in Iraq. Ok, I will agree that there are some economic issues related to the war, but to put the entire blame there is a little over the top. I think history clearly demonstrates that our country does not prosper during times of war. Go figure. But then she continued to say that all the problems surrounding the real estate industry are also related to this. She stated that if the government hadn't made it so easy to get loans, etc. etc, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in.
I have a problem thinking that just because the mortgage industry made a few changes in regulations to make getting loans easier, it is the governments fault. Whatever happened to CHOICE AND ACCOUNTABLITY? The mortgage industry realized that is was difficult for a lot of people to obtain mortgages. In hopes to stimulate the economy, they made it easier to get loans. This plan obviously backfired on them. My problem boils down to this: just because one could qualify for a mortage with a monthly payment of whatever, doesn't mean that you should max yourself out or even go beyond your means to get into the house you want. There has to be some accountability when deciding what one can afford. Just because the program makes it possible for you to do something, doesn't mean you should do it. I feel there is a total lack of financial responisbility in our country, and this is just one very fine example of it. Instead of looking at themselves, they point the blame at the industry for making it possible. I realize it is somewhat of a double edged sword, but it is time people be responsibile for choices they make.

5 comments:

chris said...

What the hell is she talking about? During times of war our country's economy booms. Why do you think we recovered from the great depresssion? Because WWII created a war time economy that created jobs, higher wages, etc. Tell her to do a google search on us wartime economy through history to educate herself a little bit. You will have left wing pink-o commies who argue that the money spent on the war effort could've been better used in fixing the SS or Medicare problem but then again, they want the gov't to fix everything for everyone without providing for our country's defenses. I can agree that the war has cost the US much in money and lives, but nothing near what the other wars have cost. AND, and this is a big AND...you will never be able to convince these types of people that the war was a necessary evil. Ideologically you will never agree and they will harp on and on about the tragedy it is. I however happen to firmly believe that if we knew the true level of danger these crazy ass groups of muslim extremists posed to our country they would jump on the wagon and get with the program and reality. Suck on that you pink-o commies!!!

BS and the Kids said...

Yeah, you can see why my mind was brewing a little bit. I didn't want to get into the war issues, because I know what I think and I know what others think. It as if most of us have forgotten about 9/11 and the long term effects that has caused. Like I said, you can see why I was a little aghast.

Nancy said...

Amen sister. Way to not be afraid to say it like it is.

chris said...

The other thing I forgot to mention was that our current economical problems have nothing to do with the war and everything to do with 1. what you already talked about in over extending ourselves credit wise and 2. our reliance on crude oil from the middle east which the war has probably helped keep the costs down
If we didn't have such a strong presence over there right now I think we would be paying even more than we already are
We need to stop our oil addiction!! but not at the cost of making our food so dang expensive ie ethenol fuels and corn Again, this is a problem created by those damn pink-o commies or I should say green commies who think they need to solve the global warming problem by making us all starve to death because we can't afford to buy gorceries. I think I will plant a garden this spring

D-Man said...

Choice and accountibility are a thing of the past. Welcome to my generation, were we feel entitiled to EVERYTHING! I blame the parents of the 70's, those damn hippies. Free love. Whatever.