Thursday, April 24, 2008

Alien Planet

We moved out to the middle of nowhere over a year ago. OK, it really isn't the middle of nowhere, but compared to where we used to live, we feel like it is. The water supplied to water the lawn is irrigation water. I don't know what the deal is with it, but it somehow helps these absolutely ginourmous weeds to grow, and weed types I have never seen before. I wish I would have taken a picture, but my husband pulled out a weed yesterday, IN OUR WINDOW WELL, that was atleast 2 1/2 feet in diameter with just huge leaves. I feel like the water must have weird chemicals that has mutated other types of weeds. It really kind of grosses me out. Now you see why my kids think I am mean in the summer when I won't let them play in the sprinklers. I would hate to see what the water might turn them into, not to mention the risk of E. Coli. I am amazed at how quickly the weeds have grown considering it is only April. Last year our neighbors had weeds taller than I was in their yard, they hadn't put their grass in yet. I really felt like I lived on a different planet. This year it seems like we are off to just about the same start. Strange things coming to life in my yard again. Next time I will prove it with a picture.

8 comments:

ashley said...

ok, so if our weeds met your weeds in a dark alley, I wonder who would win... hopefully they wouldn't become friends - yards between Texas and Utah would never be the same. i look forward to a pic or two. we have tried 4 different things on ours with little success - but having our Bermuda grass grow versus all our weeds isn't really that tempting either. :) we miss Utah grass - even with irrigation water! good luck fighting off the plants~

Amanda said...

Oh come on, I used to run through the sprinklers with our well water and play in irrigation ditches when I lived in Palmyra when I was little, and I turned out kind of okay!

Karly said...

I KNOW! I loved that yard on the corner... it showed us that weeds could grow to six feet tall. Disgusting indeed. Not to mention the real water in the sink. No filter? SCREWED! Better run to costco for the bottled jazz

Kristin said...

You make me laugh!! First, we don't live in the middle of nowhere, and second, all kids need a few good germs in them......come on!

BS and the Kids said...

Ok, some of you are thinking I am a total nut case, but I swear to you, the things that grow out here are different than the things that grew where I lived less than 15 miles from here. I think it is strange. I know the Texas grass is so different, it is definitely nice to have blue grass instead of the bermuda grass. E. Coli does come from irrigation water, I have had a number kids with Hemolytic Uresis Syndrome in the hospital and it is not pretty. I am just not willing to go there (so no kids in the irrigation water sprinklers, maybe with a hose), so Amanda, I am not so sure what to tell you. As for living in the middle of nowhere, you have got to admit---we are out here, but more things are coming are way. But I love my neighbors...

Davis Smith said...

Aren't you from Pocatello? Hahaha. Just giving you a hard time...

chris said...

Wade grew up playing in the irrigation ditches. My kids still play in them when we go visit and they even have cows in their pastures....the horror!!!! You have to admit you have become a bit of a hypochondriac with TMI on what can go wrong vs. what would probably not happen to most kids. But that's okay, we still love you

Chris said...

Glad to hear that we're not the only ones that deal with the mysterious irrigation water! I guess the only good thing is that we only pay like 10 bucks a month to water!