Working late into the wee hours of the morning, if the patients are stable, sometimes a few issues in conversation come up that just seem to get me thinking. This week, it happened to be a few that have been weighing on my mind since the actual conversations.
The first topic I would like to discuss is that of Hillary Clinton. I didn't bring her up, another "liberal" nurse did. She stated that she has heard that somewhere Hillary had said something derogatory about nurses. She didn't know what it was, but she wanted to find the statement to know just what is was. I decided to do a little investigation myself. What I found out, seems to be just in line with what I think of the lady, or when I see the lady. Apparently in some interview back in 1993, (shortly after Pres. Clinton had taken office) after her father passed away she stated that nurses were over paid monkeys, and that untrained nursing assistants would be able to do our job for far less. Continuing she wanted to make it clear that nurses were the most overpaid profession for their level of education and thought that about $6/hr was enough. So, can anyone find the actual statement now? Absolutely not. Maybe it is just some rumor, but I highly doubt it. The Clinton's have the unseen ability, brilliancy, and sneakiness of just making things in the public eye disappear. Some of the best magicians I have seen in a long time. Many in the nursing profession remember the statement being said, so I have a hard time thinking it wasn't. I am not going to defend her. Some have said she was bitter about her father's death and tried to place the blame on the nurses. But, anyone who is in the public eye should know better than to go yippin off her chops with a statment like that. To clean up her disappearing act, she participated in yet, another great publicity stunt. She pretended to be a "nurse for a day" in Aug. 2007 to try and gain support of the ANA (American Nurses Association). It scares me to think that she might gain power of the White House and try and get Socialized Medicine. I am not going to disagree that something needs to be done to change health care, I am going to argue that I don't think it is Socialized Medicine. How can anyone who thinks that of nurses, be in charge of our health care? Nurses are an integral part of medicine, and if you start to treat them like "monkeys", health care really will be down the drain. I think she should start to focus on her own profession, that of LAW, and maybe focus on some tort reform. I think that could work wonders for health care and insurance issues. But of course, it is much easier to look at the actual organization for problems than on outlying factors. I am tired of people not taking responsibility for their own actions. I look at how the costs of health care have spiraled out of control. But, there are a number of issues surrounding it. When it comes down to it, I believe it is because many people believe the government should take responsibility for their bad choices. Which leads me to topic 2 to be discussed in another post. But until then, OOH-OOH, AGH AGH (my imitation of a monkey).
7 comments:
You should email Sean Hannity. If anyone could track down the original source, he could.
I usually find it's the nurses doing the bulk of the work (sometimes more than the doctors). And I definitely hope you're making more than $6/hr. I wouldn't touch what you guys do for even three times that!
What I am trying to say is...I appreciate you. Besides, Hilary is a nut case.
Okay, I'll try this again. Sorry to delete my posts, but I can't type or spell today to save my life. What I said was this
Hillary and Obama both scare the monkey out of me!!! Just imagine if the ambulance chaser known as John Edwards had ever won a national election!!!! You are spot on when it comes to talking personal accountability and tort reform. But here is another thing to think about. I have attended my share of medical conventions with Wade. Dermatology is such a money producing specialty for the drug companies that they throw their money at these Dr's at the conventions through supplying obscene dinners and alcohol, shows, parties...you get the idea. Millions of dollars. And you do you think absorbs the cost of said entertainment? And this is just for one specialty.
Thanks for the tip DeDee, I'll have to see if he can find it.
Chris, you are absolutely right. There are a number of outside factors that should be addressed, that should be one of them as well. I was just trying to point out that a number of her cohorts have made millions off of health care, nurses and doctors and I don't know that she has any thoughts on that. Afterall, they only have a few more years of shcooling than your average nurse, and not any more than some. I don't think you will find many nurses who have made millions off of being a "nurse". Yet the cost of insurance has been driven out of control and this sue happy country is just one of the factors.
You go, girl.
And then there are REAL nurses who don't work once a month "princess" shifts
:0
PS Hillary is "dead" in my eyes. Anyone that would say that... oh you better hold me back! I hope she delivered Chelsea at home because her nurses couldn't be competent enough.......
Post a Comment