Saturday, November 7, 2009

Spokane Trip



I have completely gotten out of the habit of blogging. What am I talking about, I have gotten out of the habit of being on the computer. Unfortunately that means I am really far behind.
The first week in October the kids and I headed up North to visit the husband in Spokane. I braved the drive with the three kids and I must say, I think it went fairly well. It is about a 10 hour drive. I broke it up on the way there by staying the first night at my parents in Idaho. The only thing that made me think twice about the drive was this:
And not only this on the way there, but on the way back as well! Terrible road and visibility conditions. Made my knuckles a little white.
Brett had school while we were up there so we were left to find some things to do by ourselves. The first day we headed up to the local zoo called "Cat Tails". Just writing this makes me laugh. It was one of the most disappointing zoo trips I have ever been on. I had to drive about half an hour to get there. It was up this gravel road. It was one row of cages on both sides with just a bunch of different "cats". It was fun to see the cougars and tigers but the whole thing took us half an hour and that included us sitting down to eat our lunch. Oh well, at least it got us out of the bachelor pad for a little bit.
The next day we went to the Riverfront which is where the waterfalls are by downtown Spokane. We loved it! The waterfalls were a lot lower than Brett and I's first trip but the kids thought they were pretty cool. There are a ton of different trails we went on and fun little parks throughout. There was a Carousel that we rode on as well. We stayed forever.
The next day we went swimming up in Hayden, Idaho at a park called Triple Play. It was a fun indoor swimming area with three fun slides. I was disappointed when they limited the little one to this tiny play area, but we managed to let the bigger kids have fun. The water was less than warm and we found ourselves in the hot tub quite a bit of the time.
We had fun hanging out and meeting some of his classmates, visiting the school and just seeing what dad does from day to day. His apartment is a decent size but we didn't have much to do there. Luckily, I took the Wii and it kept us all more than entertained. We did manage a hike right up the hill from his place and got to see a train go by within feet of us.

4 comments:

Jill said...

So glad to see new pictures. I always wonder why I go to places like that when I am on vacation. The places that have brochures in hotel lobbies and the chamber of commerce offices are never very representative of real life in a place. I always wonder when I see people driving around in that duck mobile around Seattle. Why?
It sounds like you are surviving the separation. You have always been such a strong person, I am not surprised.

Nancy said...

Sar Sar Sar, I feel so out of the loop with you. Maybe because you have big things happening and I don't really know how it's all going. Are you surviving? We will maybe need to try to have a dinner get together again some day!! I wonder if we could ever talk Jill into coming down and have all three of us? Your post reminded me of going to the Bible Zoo in Israel. Only the opposite of cat tails zoo. I expected it to have a few donkeys and goats, but it was actually a pretty great zoo. Once again you are so brave doing those drives. I dreaded our long drives home from WA.

Mama Bear said...

Looks like it was all fun and games. Glad you had a good time. Now when are we going to see pics of Halloween. Like I can say anything, I still have to get my summer post together.
Hope you're surviving, can't wait to see you all again. Can't wait for Thanksgiving break, as I'm sure you can't.

Heidi said...

I must say, I am impressed you made it on that long road trip! I can barely handle the 7-hour trip to Reno with Jeff in the car with me! Misery is what those long drives are called. Love you and think you are amazing!