Sunday, November 18, 2007

26.2

Usmagazine.com
www.nydailynews.com
I read these articles on the Internet last week and the more I think about it, the more ridiculous and irritating I find them. It has to do with the NYC marathon. The winner, Paula Radcliffe, finished the race in 2:23:09. The big debate arises with the fact that she did this just 10 months after having a baby. Let's not forget that Katie Holmes, also giving birth less than a year ago, ran this same marathon in 5:29:58. It irritates me that this professional athlete got grief for her training while pregnant. They say she ran up to an hour a day, until the day she delivered. Kudos to her. I can't imagine that she did any of this training without close supervision on her baby. I guarantee she wore a heart monitor and took the necessary precautions to ensure the baby was "safe" and that she also ate better during this time, monitoring calories and eating healthier than any one of us who has ever been pregnant can lay claim to. I know there is some controversy surrounding excersing while pregnant, but she was in shape before she got pregnant. It wasn't like she started going to the gym, running for an hour, doing extensive training so she could win a marathon when she had her baby. This is her 7th WIN. Don't think she didn't pay the price for thinking she could get moving too soon either. She started running just 8 days after having the baby and ended up with a hairline fracture in her back. I can relate (ok, not to that extent). I know there has been times after having a baby I do more than I should, thinking I am right back to my prepregnancy state. It is easy to forget joints and ligaments are still loose from those hormones floating around. I just found the fact that not one thing about Katie Holmes running the marathon was said other than, hooray, a Hollywood star ran a marathon (not to mention all the media coverage). I am not taking away from the fact that she ran a marathon. It is way more than I have ever accomplished, and I know that she did it with only 2 months of training. I am just stating that a professional athlete got criticized for working while pregnant. I think of all the times I hear of someone from Hollywood exercising/working during pregnancy and right after having a baby and no fuss has ever been made. The media is sick. I think of all the things that Paula Radcliffe could have been doing: sitting on her haunches gaining weight-not exercising, smoking, drinking, eating unhealthy, etc. etc and all the media can focus on is the fact that she actually exercised, while she was pregnant, gasp. I just didn't feel like they gave her credit where credit was definitely due. Congratulations to Paula Radcliffe for winning the NYC Marathon.

4 comments:

Stephanie Hatzenbuehler said...

Fabulous stuff, Sarina. I was too busy being impressed to know she was getting criticized.

AND, I'm surprised neither of our uteruses fell out when we were playing sports in high school. Shocking :)

BS and the Kids said...

When I clicked on most articles some OB would be quoted saying that studies show inexclusive evidence of what harm is done to the fetus when excersing, and women shouldn't do it. Maybe it was some disclaimer so a pregnant woman wouldn't start training for a marathon who hadn't trained before. That is exactly what most women decide they want to do when the find out their pregnant, train for a marathon. Anyway, it was lame. I think everyone was jealous she has about a 3% body fat. Didn't you leave your uterus behind on the basketball court? I am surprised either one of us could ever have a baby :).

chris said...

Yeah, so our dear father is one of the old school that thinks you shouldn't raise your HR over 140 while pregnant. I taught spinning at least 2x a week while preg with Danny until I was 8 months. I know my heart rate would climb anaerobic towards 175 plenty of times. I did pass out while teaching a weight lifting class once while preg with Jacob, but I think that was more of a down and up too fast thing. Both of my kids are fine IMHO and I wish I only had 3% body fat. I can't find anywhere to teach spin here that is hiring, so I'm stuck jogging. I hate running for long distances. It really sucks.

BS and the Kids said...

Well, I know they say don't raise it above 140, but the comments they had from whatever OB's acted like you shouldn't even exercise. I bet for her to get her heart rate above 140 took a lot, considering her resting HR is probably in the 30-40 range. You do have to be careful, but still.