I recently traveled to my parents for a Thanks-Christmas-Giving Event. It was appropriately named so by my sister-in-law because we had Thanksgiving Dinner and then later that night had Christmas. Sounds a little bit out of sorts, but due to circumstantial timing, it had to work out this way. I have been meaning to post all week, but haven't found the time without Kid 3 clawing me while typing. There is so much to say, many of those relating to what I have learned over the years about traveling. I only hope this enlightens those who haven't been there or done that yet.
LESSON 1: "What happens at Grandma's, stays at Grandma's".
LESSON 2: While traveling in the car with a sleeping potty trained child who suddenly wakes up screaming, is inconsolable, and can't tell you what they want, immediately pull over to use the restroom. Otherwise, the immediate silence, followed by "Mommy, I just went pee pee in my pants" may be more of a mess to clean up then one cares for.
LESSON 3: It is inevitable, totally predictable, that when around 20 other grandkids, you and your kids will come down with at least one illness, if not 5.
LESSON 4: Don't expect to sleep while away. Kids will stay up later, but somehow manage to wake up at precisely 7:00 am every morning. The next week at home will be a very difficult one, as kids will now be whiny, tired, and SICK; as will you.
LESSON 5: Bad habits such as kicking, biting, pulling hair and pushing, that maybe your kids didn't fully embrace before, will now be fortified by the response of cousins, and your kids in turn have learned these methods are their only defense.
LESSON 6: When lots and lots of cousins are around for your kids to play with, your kids will somehow manage to stay out of your eyesight for an entire day, despite searching and searching for them. The beauty of this is that they are somehow more entertained, not needing you to do it for them.
LESSON 7: Kids won't eat when other kids aren't eating. Kids will eat what other kids are eating (even if that means eating straight butter or putting your finger in the cake-again and again and again-who needs utensils, right?).
LESSON 8: There is no traveling "lightly" with kids.
Lesson 9: Despite the fact that you and your siblings were all raised by the same parents, parenting styles will differ dramatically, and so will their kids "acceptable and not acceptable" behavior. This is true with ones' sense of time, ones' standards, and one's ability to clean up after themselves.
Here are some pics of our recent trip. We had a fun time. We had Thanksgiving Dinner at the church since we are now of extremely large numbers. We played some lightening basketball while there. We then went and had Christmas. Later that week,we had a birthday party for a number of the grandkids followed by Santa Claus coming to the house. My parents also had their "Farewell" talks, but don't leave for their mission until Jan. 7th. It hasn't fully hit me yet that they are leaving. I am better of not thinking about it.
4 comments:
Ah Lesson 3 - I've learned that the hard way this week. I've been sick since we got home from Poky - sore throat, ear infection, congestion. It's making my life difficult since it's almost finals time and there's so much to do and not enough energy to do it all! I'm finally starting to feel like myself again - minus the head cold. You guys have been sick too I take it? Tell Tanner thank you for the thank you card! It was way cute. Hope to see you soon. How would your kids feel about going to see the lights at Temple Square or something?
Ear Infection!!!Me too. I am just getting on something for it. I am sorry to hear that you are facing all that in front of finals. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon. They would love to go see the lights. We will have to figure out a date.
Heeheehee... i'm still laughing... I'm glad to hear that it went well & you all survived, with lasting reminders of how much fun you had (although being sick is not fun!)... i keep meaning to call you and hear all about it. I'll keep trying, but it might have to wait for a face to face visit or a birthday call. Happy bday to #2 and S!
All so true! New lessons come for us every trip! It sounds like you've been dealing with sickness off and on for the last little while! I'm sorry! Hey, time will fly while your parents are gone. Mine went for 23 months and will be back in February! You'll make it!
Post a Comment