Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Curiosity Killed the Cat

I know that is how the saying goes. I only wish it were true in my case. That sounds awful. Let me explain.
I have a friend (Hey Nancy) who loves animals. She even majored in Zoology. She had a post recently about her chicken that lives in her window well. It made me laugh. She is just so witty and clever. Who could make writing about a chicken in a window well funny, well, she can. So, when I write this post, I realize it isn't going to be witty or clever. I am going to come across as anything but charming....because I, unlike Nancy, do not love animals, nor do I even remotely like them; in fact, I shun away from them. My biggest fear in this story was actually finding the animal and having to touch it. I definitely would have had to enlist the help of some of the neighbors.
I have always disliked animals. Even as a child. I used to have a cat that liked to sleep on my bed and I would take my covers and like the big parachute game we all played in P.E. I would send that cat flying like the ball in the middle. When we went on our cruise to the Caribbean, we were told swimming with the stingrays was a must. So my husband and I decided to give it a try. I got in the water and very careful get my extremities close to me and as a stingray got closer, I inched a way. I finally got back in the boat and watched from above. I got some great pictures of Brett though. The thought of something touching me in the water gives me the heebie jeebies. I used to hate waterskiing for that very reason.
I have had a stray cat who comes and goes living in my backyard. I don't really care all that much other than the number of droppings it has left behind to let me know it is there. Drives me crazy that I can't even walk in my backyard without watching where I step. Good thing the snow has melted so I can go clean it up.
A few weeks ago I sent the kids out back to play. Kk came bolting in screaming and crying with Princess hot on her tails. I thought for sure someone had died. The verdict: the "titty tat". It had gone bolting out of the playhouse sandbox when it realized its shelter was being invaded by a bunch of loud children. I had to laugh. My kids are all extremely afraid of animals.
Friday as I went out to get in my car I found some of those droppings I was talking about, in my garage. The kids had left the garage opened for a little bit the day before. I guess curiosity got the better of the cat and it invited itself into my garage. I was watching tv that night when I heard a clang coming from the garage. I quickly went to investigate and when I opened the garage door I saw the cat run into the ultimate chaos of our garage. There would be no way of finding that night. I finally decided if I wanted to salvage anything from my garage I should try and get it out before it did its bodily functions all over the place. Eleven o'clock at night and I am out there in pj's, both garage doors open, beating my stuff with a broom. It must have been a sight to behold.
No luck. I thought it was out. I had checked its usual hiding place in the back yard a couple of times but never found it. Two nights later I heard yowling and moaning that I have never heard before. I googled what happens when a cat is in labor, and I was convinced that the cat was going to have kittens in my garage. And there was nothing I could do about it because there was no way I could find it.
The next morning I decided I had to tackle this problem. And so I looked. And looked. And looked. No cat. I was convinced I was going to find the dead body of the cat because it had starved to death, but didn't even find that.
And then. I went to the backyard and peeked into the sandbox. And up came those glowing green eyes oh so gently and a little purr.
When I had asked Kk if she wanted to help me find the cat she told me no because it is scary. After I told her I had found it she kept telling me the titty tat was hungry and that I needed to feed it. Ha ha, fat chance. I don't want a cat, but the question is....do you?

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh Sar, I love the image of you fretting away about the horror or a cat having kittens in your garage. And believe me, it would be a horror for me as well. In fact, I better clear this all up right now. I actually am with you. I don't like animals. It is horrible. I have probably never even petted our own dog! Because, like you, I don't want to touch them. Unfortunately, because I love my husband who DOES love animals, it is my miserable lot in life to be surrounded by them -- which is why, I guess I am always writing about them? It's kind of like someone who hates kids somehow being stuck in charge of an orphanage. Hehee. In fact, this whole situation of yours had me happy as could be that you could share some of my pain -- even for a short time (what a bad friend).

Nancy said...

P.S. This is especially strange because right now a very similar thing is going on in my family where someone has a stray cat and is trying to fid it a home. They all keep pressuring me to take it and being like, "Why are you being so stubborn? It's not like having animals around is new for you." But what they don't get is I will get PLENTY of animals thanks to my husband. There is no way in heck I am bringing any on of my own free will. Besides, I have drawn the line at having them in my house . . . OK, except when I faltered and let Abe have a hamster.

Anonymous said...

No!!! I hate cats!!! There's one who poops in my flower beds and probably my sandbox too and I don't know whose it is. Makes me so mad! :)

Qmann said...

You may want to be careful posting about animals. A friend of mine posted that she put her dog outside to live because it was reeking havoc in their house and the people went nuts. She had them telling her awful stuff on her facebook page, she had to make her blog private because the comments left about her and her daughter were obscene. People were writing about how much they hated them and all of the awful things they wanted to happen to their family. They even posted her blog on animal sites. So, I would just be careful. She doesn't know how or why it all happened, she didn't even do anything wrong but people turned it all around that she was abusing her dog and what not. So... Not to be the bearer of bad news, just wanting you to be on alert.
Amber

Qmann said...

She even had to call the cops because one of the posts was that bad.

Karly said...

Too bad i couldn't see you with the broom in the garage... I am laughing just thinking about it! I HATE cats!