Saturday, August 23, 2008
The Great Advances of Medical Technology
I must say, we truly live in a world of amazing medical technology. The advances that I have seen in the ICU field alone in the last 5 years are absolutely unbelievable. We save more and more lives, yet it seems that we have more and more that are dying. I have pondered upon these two issues, talked amongst my colleagues, and tried to get a grasp on if all advances really are that great. The hospital I work in is one of the best in the country for CardioThoracic Surgery (Heart Surgery). The treatments and technology combined with the skilled expertise of the surgeons and nurses has made it so less and less of the complex anatomy hearts actually die (or die during surgery or within hours after). We also are a Trauma 1 facility. That means we get some pretty horrific accidents. The field response for the emergency medical services has gotten so good that more and more make it to the hospital for treatment. I know most of you are thinking, that is so AWESOME, what's the dilemma?. Don't get me wrong, it really is a great thing, but as a result, the stay for these patients in the ICU has increased dramatically, and with that we get an influx of secondary problems that the patient will either survive or not survive. The quality of life that they face if they do survive, usually isn't what one would call ideal either. So, I have this ongoing debate with myself: If it were my child, what would I want? Obviously, it would depend on a number of factors, and every situation is different. I don't want to get into all the ethical issues that surround such subjects because the list can go on and on. Not to mention that cultural, religious and personal beliefs are so different that there really never is a correct answer. But I do know as a result of these advances there definitely is a shortage of nurses out there. With the advances and life sustaining measures that the field of medicine has introduced, it will only get worse. It makes the demand even greater for healthcare professionals. I get a call at least 5/7 days to see if I can work. My heart sinks each time as I know that right now it is not my time to be there consistently in the hospital. As a result, I embrace the moments of taking care of my 3 beautiful, healthy children. Will this problem ever be resolved? I fear not. I don't think there is a way to produce enough nurses to keep up with the job demand based on these advances. But I also don't think that means advances should be slowed down either, because it could be that break through treatment that one day may save the life of a loved one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
What a thought provoking post Sar. That is so interesting to think about. I remember watching a documentary once on premies and it talked about how the advances you mentioned can save them earlier than they ever could have survived in the past, but then it talked to some nurses who talked about what that meant as far as future problems, etc. and wondered if some of them were meant to survive. Yah, talk about ethics. I can't imagine being the family members in these situations trying to make the best choice! I hadn't thought about all the other areas that must be having similar issues. Wow. What a crazy situation!! To be having all these troubles due to all the amazing stuff we can do. I don't know what to make of it all!! Well, thanks for giving me a good discussion topic for intense converesation some time!
I know exactly what you mean. I'm sure you remember my cousin Josh. Well after 9 open heart surgeries starting when he was weeks old and a heart transplant at 25, (I believe that was done at Primary Childrens because that's where his doctors have been since he was born) my cousin has added on to his battle list two rounds with Leukemia. He has truly led an amazing life. Josh had two boys before the transplant and thought he couldn't have any more after but was blessed with a little girl. He is now 31 years old and living a life that would not have been possible without the advancements in medicine. I remember hearing of when he got the call that a heart had become available....the doctor was speaking to Josh and told him that the heart had to travel to get here and that they would have to remove Josh's heart and wait so that when the new heart arrived they could immediately insert it into Josh's chest. He told Josh that once they removed his heart, it was so badly damaged that if there was a problem with the new heart not getting there, that they would not be able to put Josh's heart back into his chest, thereby ending his life. Josh and his wife, who have always had amazing strength and faith told the doctor that at that point it was out of their hands and they had faith that it would work out. His life has been hard after the transplant with fighting Leukemia, but Josh stays positive and lives every day to it's fullest. While it was a tough decision for Josh to make to proceed with the heart transplant, I know that if, heaven forbid, something happened to Josh tomorrow, his kids would be eternally grateful for the last 6 years that they have had with him. Without the advancements in medicine, he would not be here today to amaze me day after day and be my inspiration. I am so thankful everyday for the doctors and nurses like you that have helped and cared for him his entire life.
Jolie,
That is one of my favorite stories to pass on about work. Imagine my surprise when I walked into my patients room at a Children's hospital and I had been out on a date with him!!! I was young when I started and he just happened to be a patient who needed work at that hospital!!! I know he has had a battle for sure. The advances they have made on his type of heart defect are incredible!!! He was one of the first patients to do so well of his kind and many of the nurses remember him and his family. They have been through so much.
I am glad you are willing to do what you do, I could never do it. We are lucky to have good nurses like you and the others in our neighborhood.
I hope if we ever have to spend time in the PICU (Heaven Forbid) you will be at the bedside. What a great nurse you are!!!
wow sarah, thanks for sharing that! i'm sure glad that i was blog stalking tonight. i recently went back to school to get my nursing degree and seem to always be questioning if it is the right thing to do. what a motivation for me to keep going. i needed to read that so thanks for writing it.
Post a Comment