Thursday, March 6, 2008

BEWARE: There are Spys Out There

This doesn't have anything to do with one of the latest books I have read. This has to do with you and your computer, and me and mine.
I have a number of brothers who will cringe at this confession. I have a certain degree of naivety and lack of forward thinking when it comes to computers. I don't think I am completely inept though. I can figure a few things out on my own. I just don't know the "whole picture". I have a few brothers who are true computer geeks. A couple of them even went into computer programming. So, when I say they will cringe and shudder when they read this, I am not joking. That is, IF they read this.
I was talking to one of them (one of the computer geeks) yesterday, telling him I needed him to come and clean up my computer. He asked me if I was going to "pay" him. He then suggested I install a SPYBOT. Ok, don't get me wrong, I have heard of spyware. I just didn't understand why I would have any SPYS. But he told me to go do a free download of Spybot Search and Destroy. This sounded like a fun mission that I was willing to accept.
I downloaded the program and learned a few things about it. Spyware is a new threat that most of our anti-virus programs don't detect. It tracks our computer behavior-what and where we surf, and creates a marketing profile of us to sell to companies. Spyware has gotten so good that most of it can track us "silently".
I was getting really bugged that some one or some thing could SNOOP on me so indiscreetly. I decided to "Search and Destroy". The first time I scanned my system, there were at least 15 different threats, one of which had 26 entries alone. I was not so thrilled. I quickly DESTROYED my little spys and did a scan a few hours later. Again, 3 threats. Wow. That was fast. DESTROYED, again.
My mission to all of you, if you choose to accept, is to SEARCH AND DESTROY. My computer already seems to be functioning at a higher capacity. Maybe yours will too.
My brothers should be so proud. Look at all that I have learned. But I do have to say it makes me laugh, because sure, they know all they need to know about computers, that is their job. How much do they know about medicine, my line of work??? Jabberwock, have you figured out the best way to get popcorn out of your little ones nose? I might have been able to take care of that for you, but only for a small fee, of course.

10 comments:

chris said...

My computer makes the LOUDEST humming noise I have ever heard a hard drive make. This is the PC we took from M&D office when they retired. We've always had spyware and anti-virus software intalled, but not sure about it on this one. I have accepted my mission and am downloading spybot as we speak. I wonder if it will make my hard drive operate more quietly? Would it work on my kids too?

BS and the Kids said...

My computer used to always make a loud humming noise as well. I haven't ever had spybot, so I hope it fixes all my problems, now as far as the kids go. . .I can only pray and hope.

Karly said...

I want to try.. Which one did you use? Where did you download it from?

Nancy said...

I love that it sounds like you are playing a cool video game. Spybot:search and destroy. Even I, who shudder to hear any computer related word thought it sounded pretty darn fun (I'm sure that's what you meant it to be . .. fun).

Staci said...

I love your blog and reading your posts!! So informative!! Thank you for the tips!! I am thrilled that I was the first blog that Brett made a comment on!! What an honor:)

BS and the Kids said...

I used spywaresearchanddestroy.org. I did a goole search and it was the first one that showed up after the ads. Let me know what kind of results you get if you try this fun little activity.

Amanda said...

No no, I really am confused. I just don't understand what you're trying to say in this sentence:
"I love the new like btw." haha! Sorry it's just really making no sense to me...

Karly said...

The ones i found all tried to make me pay! I can't find yours!

BS and the Kids said...

Karly,
The one I did wanted a donation, but I wasn't sure if it was going to work so I didn't donate (confession). Anyway, it was the one at .org. Hope that helps.

Nancy said...

Sarah, you suck me in to this warped blogging world and then desert me for weeks at a time!??? This is so not right. New post! New Post! . . . or have the spy bots got you???