Friday, December 7, 2007
New Recommendations
I had class yesterday at work, referred to as "Mandatory Class Day". All in all, it is a beneficial way to get updated on changes, learn about new equipment or technology, and reminders for people like me who work very little. My favorite thing is how the American Heart Association (AHA)makes new guidelines and recommendations about every quarter. It makes it difficult to know and remember just exactly how many times I am supposed to compress someones chest before I give them a breath. But now, for all you out there, the new guideline for a witnessed adult collapse is this (meaning you watch an adult grasp their chest and fall over) JUST DO COMPRESSIONS AND GET AN AED (automated external defibrillator) ASAP. Pound on that chest until you are blue in the face and hopefully your victim won't be. And remember that is atleast 100 compressions a minute.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What are you doing up on the coputer at 6:48. I didn't realize it was ever a 100 compressions a minute. Now the recommendations in no breathing right. Tried to post a message this morning but I think it got lost. Have some snow this morning. Hope everyone is doing finr. luv m
Hey, I love your blog!! It was great to see you in August! Your kids are very cute!!! Sorry to hear about B's encounter with the fox!
Yeah, they say compressions to keep the blood circulating through the heart is more important than breathing as the blood should already be oxygenated for awhile, (a few mintues), and then if you don't get them breathing again they are more than likely not coming back anyways. I loved my last one. The poor ENT said, find the nipple line for hand placement for compressions. I raised my hand and said, "well, then they'd be giving me compressions around my belly button since after nursing four kids that's where they are." He was so red and embarrassed. It was pretty funny.
They have changed it to 100 compressions a minute for everyone. You only don't do respirations if it is a witnessed collapse. Everyone else you are still supposed to breath for. I just love how everytime I go in something changes. It may be different for "Lay" people, but this is what they are teaching us "medical professionals". Way to through the ENT for a ride. I can't believe you said that in front of everyone!!!
Well, in a room full of young barbie wanna be's with fake boobs I thought it was quite appropriate. The HORROR!!!! To think that that is what really happens to the real thing.
Post a Comment