Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Dieting 101: Back to the Basics


It has been 3 weeks since I had my tonsillectomy and I would say I am about 90% recovered. My throat still is sore, but nothing I haven't dealt with for the last year. If I eat something that goes down wrong, I feel it. I have small remnants of scabs still and occasionally I think I peel them off with food. The kids did great while I was present, but absent. The fog lifted around day 10, and that is when I felt like I could start to eat a variety of soft foods.


The results of starving myself for 10 days weren't quite as dramatic as I would have liked. I was hoping that it was the miracle diet we all hope for. I pushed myself to drink lots of fluids and drink protein shakes so I wouldn't lose my milk. That was my top priority, and it worked. But what I wanted to lose, and didn't, was more than 5 blasted pounds of my "baby" weight.


I guess I need to revisit dieting 101. I know what the basics of dieting are. I have studied nutrition and understand the mechanics and physiology of food, metabolism, and if you want to get down to it, the Krebs Cycle. But the bottom line is: a combination of a moderate exercise program coupled with healthy eating. I am a firm believer that exercise most be consistent and somewhat strenuous. But, I also believe, that without a strength training program, aka lifting weights, resistance training, etc, that aerobic exercise, just won't cut it.


It makes me sick to look at the way Americans have turned out. We are lazy, we want things now, and we don't want to have to work for it. When I look at pictures from the past, I am reminded how modern day conveniences has made us virtually obese. A little hard work on the farm, and basic cooking helped prevent the epidemic we are facing today.


So, having said that and getting a little of my soapbox out there, it sure is worth it to have a few extra "baby" pounds for the 3 beautiful children that I have.

No comments: