Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hanalei-Okolehao Trail, Day 6




















One thing I definitely did not know about Kauai is that it is known for its hiking. Had a known that, and the fact that they have true red dirt, I don't think I would have taken my bright white, brand new kicks. There are some gorgeous trails, some easy, some not so much. Our very favorite thing of the whole trip was the Hanalei Trail along the Napali Coast. It was breathtaking. The hike starts out at Hanakapiai Beach and leads you to a scenic beach and then up the valley to Hanakapiai Falls. There is the typical water hole at the end of the falls that many ventured into to take a dip. It was freezing water and had started to rain, so we passed. Brett and I thought we had read somewhere that the hike would take 2-3 hours. We took a couple of water bottles and 2 granola bars. We figured we would catch some lunch after. Five hours later and a moderately strenous hike, we were done. I really wish we would have had more water more than anything. It was so hot and humid we both were dripping sweat! The Napali coast is one of the highlights of the island. It is majestic and unique. Many movies have been filmed here.
At the end of the hike, they were a bunch of guys selling fresh coconut. Brett thought he would give one a try. We had heard they were delicious. Blah! It was enough to almost make me puke. We drove around in Princeville and decided there wasn't much there and ended up eating at some random place not to be recommended. Brett even fed chicken to the chickens. Sounds so wrong! But we did find the best Shave ice on the island. Can't remember the name but I think it was off the main road in Kaapa. What a day to remember.

1 comment:

Richelle said...

Love all of your pictures! I LOVE Kauai...I'd go back in a heartbeat! And I know what you mean about the shoes...we went on a nice 5 mile hike, and our shoes kept coming off in the red mud! We eventually just hiked barefoot!Glad you guys were able to get away and have some fun! :)