I don't know when it happened. It must have been sometime between me dreaming that I am 16, young, vibrant, active and having 3 kids. I guess I will have to blame this one on "Mom Brain". I am OLD. I am not even 30, yet, but it sure is creeping up on me every day.
So, why this sudden feeling of mortality? I started playing Church Volleyball. Ha, ha. I know. We have an alright team, comparable to an 8th or 9th grade level. Not the level of play I would like to be at, but like I said, I am OLD. We actually made it to Regionals. We lost last night but are still in the tourney.
The problem is today. I am so sore. My knees hurt (I even thought about icing them, but can only think of OLD men doing that), my back hurts and even my butt hurts. I haven't used most of these muscles in 10 years. . .10 YEARS. Do I really have to say it again? I am OLD. Playing volleyball has really made me feel that I lost a lot of things in the years gone by. And one of them is my athletic ability. I think I can dive for balls, which I will try, but fall short because my reaction is a little bit slower than it used to be. Then there are the times I think I can play the net and I get turned around and my court sense is lost and I am not quite sure what to do with the ball. But it isn't so much of what is going on in the court, because let's face it, it is just church ball, then what is going on today. The day I feel OLD. I have to peel myself off the floor because my knees are sore, and carrying Kid 3 is difficult because my wrists are weak. I have pains in places I forgot existed. But the scary thing is, I don't know that if I played volleyball consistently that these pains would disappear. I think my knees would always be sore, my ankles stiff and my wrists weak. The flexibility and agility I once had is long gone. That is why it has happened. Somewhere between it all, I got OLD. And to think, I will only feel that much more dated when Church Basketball starts in January.
6 comments:
I'm so jealous! I'd take church ball over no ball!
I feel your pain! I haven't played ball forever, but when I go for a run with my boys (with all of the muscles you mentioned aching and then some)and my sweet Chad aks why we're going so slow, I feel OLD! I'm jealous that you're playing, too!
poor baby!!!! welcome to reality
Actually though, if you keep it up, the aches and pains will go away and you'll feel better. Same happens to me with aerobic classes. Of course, spinning is so much easier on the body that way but burns a lot of calories.
It was great to get out. We played again this Thursday and Friday and I am not near as sore. I think 4 straight hours of playing really wore on me. We are out of the tourney, placed 5th, not bad. If any one is ever interested in a League, let me know. It was fun, and would be more fun if there was some great players to play with!!!
You know the Army actually continues to raise it's PT(physical training) values until the age of 32. I don't know how that works, but those older guys actually do better.
Yeah, but if I was doing it all the time, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. It is really because I hadn't played in a really long time.
Post a Comment